top of page

springtime hazards to pets

Updated: Sep 30, 2023


Springtime means Easter, flowers and spring cleaning. That also means new potential hazards to your pets. Here are a few tips to help you keep your home, and your pets' health, in tip-top shape:


easter lily


The Easter Lily (and related Lily plants) are very common this time of years. Although beautiful and fragrant, they are highly toxic to cats, if ingested.

The first signs seen are vomiting and lethargy, and if untreated, may progress to kidney failure or death. Call your veterinarian immediately if you suspect that your cat has eaten any part of a lily plant.


the Bulbs of spring flowers


While outdoors, be mindful of spring bulbs flowers planted in your community. Spring bulbs have a thin, onion-like skin around the bulb that can cause vomiting and diarrhea in cats. The flower or leaves themselves are not toxic and are safe for indoor floral arrangements. The narcissus, however, is even more toxic. If dug up by your dog, the bulb skin of a narcissus can cause diarrhea, vomiting, heart arrhythmia, difficulty breathing or even death, if ingested.



easter grass


Stringy things like Easter grass pose a deadly threat if ingested, creating something called a Linear Foreign Body. The first noticeable signs, aside from the material being visible from the mouth or anus, are vomiting or straining to defecate and a painful abdomen.


IMPORTANT!

Do not try to pull the grass out yourself! This could cause more damage if the piece is long and trapped further inside the body. Call your veterinarian if you suspect your dog or cat has eaten easter grass.


Chocolate


And lastly, the one we all know, chocolate. This is typically more of a dog hazard, but cats may consume chocolate too. The toxic components in chocolate are theobromine and caffeine. Different types of chocolate have different amounts, which effects their toxicity levels. Dark chocolate contains the highest concentrations and white "chocolate" contains the least amount. Early clinical signs are vomiting, diarrhea and trembling. Contact your vet if you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate.


3 views0 comments

コメント


bottom of page